You cannot register through Buckeyelink! (See instructions below)
1140.07 Outdoor Pursuits Leadership
DESCRIPTION: The Outdoor Pursuits Leadership Course is one of the courses needed to complete the OSU Outdoor Pursuits Leadership Training Program. This course is designed to assist individuals interested in working in the outdoor recreation or education industry. It will assist in rounding out an individuals outdoor experience resume. The class sessions will cover the essential information needed by qualified and effective group leaders in an outdoor / wilderness setting. It is a requirement for any student that is interested in working with the Outdoor Pursuits classes at OSU.
CONTENT: Topics include group assessment, group development, trip planning, trip development, safety, travel logistics, outdoor skill requirements, leadership skill requirements leadership character, and trip promotion to name a few of the topics. Each student must assist with at least 3 courses during the quarter the class is taken.
- The student must have successfully completed at least 3 courses, including one from three different disciplines:
- Wilderness First Aid (WFA, WAFA, or WFR – *WFR preferred)
- Rock climbing (Or appropriate high angle rope handling and use course. Contact instructor for more information.)
- Backpacking (BP1, Winter, or Lt. Wgt.)
- Water sport (WW, KT1, KT2, RG)
- The student must have officially assisted or be assisting with one of the OSU Outdoor Pursuits Courses*. This must be from one of the above disciplines and be agreed upon by the instructor of the OPL course. This will require attending all classroom, trip sessions, and debriefing.
- The instructor(s) may require additional experience beyond the normal course to qualify for assisting with a course.
- Instructor permission required. The student must have demonstrated to the instructor an appropriate level of knowledge, experience and maturity that applies to the outdoor / wilderness setting. The instructor may require additional experience to qualify.
CLASS FORMAT: 28 hours, over 10 weeks. Classes will be scheduled according to the students schedules. The course also requires each student to participate in 3 (whitewater rafting, backpacking, and one of their own choosing) of the other outdoor pursuits courses offered the same quarter.
TRIP AND ACTIVITY: See other course offering schedules.
INCLUDES: text; transportation; safety equipment; some additional outdoor equipment
GRADES: Grades are based on attendance (100% required) and performance on both written materials and exams, attitude and trip performance. Letter graded for 3 credit hours.
STUDENT MUST PROVIDE: all appropriate camping & activity equipment; food; proper attire for weather condition; any additional activity fees
*** All class sessions are mandatory. Any student not attending the first class session will be dropped from the class and replaced by others that are on the waiting list and in attendance of the class. Each student is responsible for adding or dropping the class with their college.
*** This class requires an additional fee. All fees must be paid in full before the first activity trip. You will be required to pay a $10.00 non-refundable deposit at pre-registration.
*** There will be no refund of any fees at anytime.
*** Pre-registration with an Outdoor Pursuits instructor is required. You cannot register through BuckeyeLink.
For additional information sheets call (614) 443.1200 or contact Tim Hampton at firstname.lastname@example.org