KNSFHP 1154.02 (1 credit)
Credit for KNSFHP 1154.01 or EduPAES 1154.01
What you will learn:
- Advanced offensive and defensive strategies
- Refining of skills learned in 1154.01 such as:
- Competition skills
- Refereeing skills
- Expanded knowledge of terminology
What to expect:
- You will actively engage in the sport of fencing in each class
- You will compete with classmates
- You will be evaluated on your skills
- You will participate in a tournament at the end of the semester
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Mental focus
- Hand-eye coordination
- Problem solving
- Fencing is one of only four sports to be included in every modern Olympic Games, since the first in 1896. Fencing was also a sport in the original Olympic Games in ancient Greece.
- Fencers wear white uniforms because before the advent of electronic scoring, touches were recorded on the white surface with a wad of ink-soaked cotton on the tips of the weapons.
- The tip of the fencing weapon is the second fastest moving object in sport; the first is the marksman’s bullet.
- Famous Fencers: President Theodore Roosevelt, Winston Churchill (high school champion of England), Cornell Wilde, Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer of Iron Maiden – foil. Vigo Mortensen, Tony Curtis, Neil Diamond, entertainer – sabre. Jimmy Buffett, singer. Prince Albert of Monaco – sabre.