KNSFHP 1144.01 (1 credit)
What you will learn:
- Shooting various shots
- Defensive skills
- Rules and regulations
- Offensive/defensive strategies
- Understand officiating techniques
What to expect:
- Drills to practice skills
- Game play
- Class tournaments
- Aerobic endurance – elevates heart rate and burns calories
- Hand-eye coordination
- Full-body coordination
- Muscle strengthening
- Observation skills
- Mental development
- Play as an ongoing form of exercise – intramural, leagues, pickup games, etc.
- Cooperation and team work
- James Naismith, a teacher at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, is credited with inventing basketball in 1891.
- The first “hoops” were actually just peach baskets and the first backboards were made of wire.
- The first backboards were made of wire.
- The game became an official Olympic event at the Summer Games in Berlin, Germany in 1936.
- Two leagues called the National Basketball League (NBL) and the Basketball Association of America (BAA) merged after the 1948-49 season to become today’s National Basketball Association (NBA).